Dogs may not be zero waste, but you can help them be less wasteful! You can search up stores that let you buy dog food in bulk, and you can go to Petco, where they have a bulk dog treat bar and you can bring your own bag.
Dog food and treats of course, also cause a lot of trash waste, but not a lot of people think about that, they only think about the trash WE waste, when really everything we buy for our pets comes in packaging! According to recent statistics, about 90 million dogs live in households just in the United States!
A really fun thing to do to help your pets be trash free (or at least less wasteful) is make them homemade treats! It is really easy and fun! The recipe we tried was just peanut butter, flour, eggs, and water, and then we just mixed it in a mixer, and baked them! You can do whatever shape you want and use cookie cutters, or just a ball.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter*
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
You can use other kinds of peanut butter such as chunky, but if you do you’ll probably need to add more water to the mixture in order to make it into workable dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix together your flour, peanut butter & eggs in a large bowl until slightly combined.
- Add in a little bit of water (approximately one Tbsp at a time) until the mixture becomes wet enough to roll out as dough.
- Roll out your dough & cut out your favorite shapes with some cookie cutters.
- Place your treats onto your baking sheet & cook for about 15 minutes. For a little bit of crunch I like to take mine out once the bottoms start to darken.
Our dog Seasons went INSANE!!! It was super fun to do, too!